Tuesday, February 06, 2007

MIA

It’s been awhile since I’ve last wrote on my blog because life’s been busy with work and studying for the bar. Plus, I’ve been without home internet access for the last month, so posting has become difficult. Hopefully, my home internet issues will be solved in the coming weeks.

Happy Black History Month! Remember, it’s a month for all Americans. It’s a time to celebrate achievement in all aspects of life. I normally do Black History Profiles (BHP) during the month of February, but unfortunately I can’t do it this year because I’m in the process of studying for the bar exam and have little time to devote to research. I barely have time to consistently post. You can view previous BHP’s by clicking on the “Black History Profiles” link on the right.

It’s hard to believe that football season is officially over. It will be approximately eight months until the old pigskin is officially thrown again in the NCAA and NFL. What will I do with this new found time on Saturday and Sunday? I’m sure I’ll survive. Super Bowl 41 was an interesting game because the Indianapolis Colts won with their solid defense, dominating run offense, and of course Payton Manning behind center. I’m normally neutral toward Manning, but I was happy to see him win the big one because he seems like a stand-up and humble guy who strives for football excellence. I hope Michael Vick was taking notes.

More importantly than Manning winning, was Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy’s accomplishment of being the first African-Americans to coach in the Super Bowl. This was a momentous accomplishment because it debunks all the myths that African-Americans couldn’t lead a NFL team to Super Bowl victory. I hope all African-Americans took note, you don’t just have to dream of being a NFL player, you now can dream of being a Super Bowl winning NFL coach. Now, we as African-Americans need to break the biggest color barrier of all – NFL ownership. Los Angeles needs a team. African-American business leaders stand up!

In NBA news, the All-Star reserves were announced last week and unfortunately Joe Johnson wasn’t on the East squad. Johnson’s the heart and soul of the Baby Birds, averaging 25.3 points per game with a 48% field goal average. Johnson is often double and triple teamed, and he manages to put up solid stats. I hate to see him excluded from the star-studded event. Those named as Eastern Conference reserves for the guard position: Chauncey Billups (Detroit), Vince Carter (New Jersey), Rip Hamilton (Detroit), Jason Kidd (New Jersey).

Besides the All-Star game, the NBA will showcase individual basketball talent during the Playstation Skills Challenge. This year’s competitors will be Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and Dwyane Wade. All four guys have bad skill and it’s a toss up as to who’ll win. My early favorite is LeBron James in an upset over Steve Nash.

I’m a Charles Barkley fan, but I’m disturbed by the fact that he allowed himself to lose $2.5 million in a six hour period gambling. That’s a ton of cash. To make things worst, in an ESPN interview in Ma 2006, Barkley estimated that he’d lost about $10 million gambling over the years. I know I can’t tell another man how to spend his money, but just think of how much good he could do if he invested that kind of money in community service programs. Why not take a gamble on someone’s future, and help some underprivileged youth go to college. I bet the payoff would be much more certain and rewarding than anything Las Vegas has to offer. To read more about Barkley’s gambling exploits, click HERE


No comments: