Thursday, January 04, 2007

Save the Falcons

The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind for the Atlanta Falcons organization. First, the Falcons lost to the Philadelphia Eagles. Second, Atlanta didn't make the playoffs for the second consecutive year because of their 7 - 9 record. Third, Coach Jim Mora is fired after three years as head coach with a 27 - 23 record. The Falcons are in an unfortunate freefall and who save them. According to the AJC, the Birds have started interviewing for head coaches. Several names have popped up - Norm Chow (Titans offensive coordinator), Ron Rivera (Bears defensive coordinator) and Ken Whisenhunt (Steelers offensive coordinator).

Can any of these guys save the organization? Although I'm not sure which future coach can save the Falcons, I know one person can save the organization and that one person is Michael Vick because the fortune of this franchise is tied to his success. I've been a big supporter and some say apologist of Vick since day one, but I think its time that he step up and admit that he's not as good as he should be and start making some adjustments. His recent arrogance and refusal to take ownership for some of the teams problems has me questioning is leadership ability.

I'll credit Vick for giving 100% when he's on the field and always keeping Atlanta in the game, but he's only 15 -16 as a starter during the past two seasons, with Atlanta not making the playoffs either year. Additionally, he's 22nd in the league in passing yards with 2,474; he's the 20th best passer rating with 75.7, and although he's 10th in the league in passing touchdowns, with 20 touchdowns, he had 13 interceptions and hadn't thrown a touchdown in the fourth quarter in 16 games. On the positive, he became the first quarterback in NFL history to rush for over 1,000 yards, but Atlanta went 0-7 when he led the team in rushing. Wins trump stats any day of the week, but when you don't have either, something has to change.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying bench or trade Michael Vick because he's the best thing to happen to the Falcons since Jamal Anderson. Like Anderson, I think Vick can lead us to the Super Bowl, except this time we'll win. I just want an improved #7 that's more accurate and completes more passes; a balanced quarterback that can run and pass, and most importantly - a leader on and off the field that shares credit for the team's success, while also sharing responsibility for its shortcomings.

No comments: